It is Freyday (my last name is Frey- so today, is my day!).
But… seriously… the day has come!! It is officially the weekend! I am off to KC to visit Mark and I wanted to bring him some goodies. I made this Chex Mix recipe last weekend for a pool day with the girls, and I wanted to make it again for Mark- except adding some kick. He has a pallet for spicy… like the guy takes hot sauce, and instead of a few drops… he douses his food with heat. Maybe he just does this, so I won’t ask my infamous question… “can I have a bite?!”
This recipe is from very good family friends of ours. Mrs. Wagner and her great girls seem to drop off (or send to Milwaukee) chex mix at the most ideal times! One time in college, I opened a package to find a whole batch of Chex Mix… it was gone, in an embarrassingly short time- I blame my roommate, right?
Try this recipe- you won’t turn back to the pre-made bag. My favorite part is the cheetos- I used baked. Baked Cheetos are the only baked product that I think is better than the original… they should team up with the Diet Dr. Pepper ad campaign!
Cajun Chex Mix- Adapted from Mrs. Wagner’s recipe
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 3 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 3 cups rice chex
- 2 cups wheat chex
- 2 cups salted nuts
- 1 cup pretzels (sticks or twists)
- 1 cup cheetos (baked or regular)
Cajun Spices: (If you want a kick)
- 2 tbsp Cajun spice mix
- 2 tbsp Trader Joe’s South African Smoke Seasoning Blend– adds a “warm” heat to the mix
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine cheetos, chex, pretzels, and nuts, set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan on medium/low heat, melt butter.
- Add spices, Worcestershire sauce, and soy sauce.
- Stir until butter is melted and ingredients are mixed together.
- Pour butter mixture over dry ingredients, and mix until all pieces are coated with butter.
- Transfer chex mix onto a baking sheet (I always use my silipat on baking sheets). And bake in the oven for 45 minutes, stirring the chex mix every 20 minutes.
- Let cool and serve. Lasts up to a week in an airtight container.
(Recipe Book my sister Meghan designed for me- she is so talented! I hope she gets into fashion design!)
(Marks snacks- biscotti’s and chex mix)
Happy Weekend!! Off to BBQ heaven and Mark : )