I had an
epiphany realization yesterday… I am an extremely CLUTTERED person. I know, shocking. It shocks most people because as a person, I have my life in order, like to the point where I think I should be age 50. I am mature, responsible, and over think every action I take, because at age 23, I still fear I am going to be in “trouble”. Lets just put it this way, I am not very spontaneous. (If you happen to catch me doing something spontaneous, take a picture, buy me a shot, and applaud me!)
But… my shit together lifestyle with the mix of my shit is literally everywhere in my room, is not a good combination when I decide to host a dinner party. Not just any dinner party, a shrimp boil. So this crafty host, did what she had to do, and cleaned/stuffed everything in my closet. It is a problem, I just admitted it.. first step?
The dinner was fantastic and the shrimp boil was so fun- a little bit of prep work (mostly because my creative bug wouldn’t stop and I had to decorate my apartment on top of cook for 10 people). A shrimp boil is also known as a crab boil- but due to my lack of funds… a shrimp boil it became.
With the shrimp boil, you cook everything in one ginormous pot: potatoes, corn, sausage, shrimp, onions, garlic, lemons, artichokes, and a whole lot of Old Bay spice. You drain all the water, and dump it in the middle of your table and everyone goes at it- no forks, no plates- just your hands and a lot of paper towels.
I added some asparagus to the boil because I wanted to add some more color. It turned out perfectly. I also… deep fried something for the first time, and my apartment is still standing. I love hushpuppies… like an embarrassingly large amount of love. So much so, that a few weekends ago when I was with a good friend and her husband, I apparently (unknowingly- I swear) ordered myself a double order of hushpuppies… and I ate every. single. one. This was noted because somehow my hushpuppies ended up on Josh’s bill, and then it was public knowledge of my doing- I just couldn’t resist! My hushpuppies were good, not great- I will post that recipe once I perfect it!
I recommend hosting a boil. There were friends of mine that did not all know each other last night, and as it tends to be awkward at first, with a group who all don’t know each other- dumping your dinner in the center of the table, becomes the conversation starter… and last night, both wine and conversation did not end until 11:30. Perfection!
(Drink Table- Paper Source Paper, Cork Board, Mason Jars, Empty Wine Bottles turned into Water jugs, and plenty of wine and summer beer!)
Adapted from: Old Bay Seasoning
INGREDIENTS (Serves 10)
- 4 quarts water (16 cups)
- 1 can (12 ounces) beer (optional)- I used Miller Lite
- 1/2 cup OLD BAY® Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 20 small red potatoes
- 1 large onion cut into wedges
- 1 artichoke- halved (through the stem- so hotdog style)
- 4 lemons- halved
- 3 garlic heads (sliced open- so all garlic cloves are exposed- keeping the black core side intact)
- 2 pounds lean smoked sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 9 ears fresh corn, shucked and halved
- 3 pounds unpeeled jumbo shrimp
- 1 stick of butter (8 tbsp)
- Bring water, beer, OLD BAY Seasoning, salt, lemon halves, artichoke halves, and garlic to boil in 12-quart stockpot on high heat. My pot, being so large, it took about an half hour to finally start to boil.
- Add potatoes and onions. Cook 8 minutes.
- Add smoked sausage. Cook 5 minutes.
- Add corn. Cook 7 minutes.
- Stir in shrimp. Cook 4 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink.
- Drain cooking liquid.
- Cut the butter in half, and throw in the pot and stir to make sure all ingredients are coated.
- Pour contents of pot on paper-covered table (if using a plastic table cloth, I recommend doubling up- for the juice).
- **I cooked my asparagus in the microwave (in a bowl with a small amount of water, on high for about 2 minutes)- I bought 2 bushels**
Big Thank You to Molly and Kevin for the classy and delicious end to the meal… raspberry gelato. I was so focused on my meal, I did not do a good job taking pictures! It was a perfect end to the night. Thanks all for coming- what a great evening!
(My Roommate, Chelsea and Jonathan- deep into conversation and eating!)