The birthday celebrations have started! This weekend I was in Kansas City and spent a relaxing and fun weekend with Mark… he had a few surprises up his sleeve for my birthday- first, my gifts- he got me a tripod! Which sounds dorky, but I am ecstatic because as I have been playing around with manual setting- my hands shake, and I get terrible camera shake… the tripod is my new bestie! He also got me this adorable muffin tin necklace- big big snaps to Mark!
Muffin Tin + Teaspoons Necklace- Not the best picture! I just got off the plane!
We went to a great restaurant in KC called Lydias on Friday, but Saturday’s dinner I have to admit, was my favorite.
Marks Burgers and Pasta Salad
Mark is a gem- honestly, he puts up with me, and on top of my quirks, he is extremely supportive. Whether he reads this blog or not, his support alone outweighs him reading my stories. Saturday night, Mark wanted to surprise me and make me dinner. He made these amazing burgers with a chipotle mayo. He also made this great italian pasta salad. The burger was stellar. I had one bite with the buns- to get the full effect, and then ditched the buns and went Atkins with my burger : ) I was basically doing that, so I could eat the heap of pasta salad on my plate- which was also double stellar.
I was impressed- he went way above and beyond his hosting skills and brought out the big guns in the kitchen. He even made chocolate chip scones for breakfast- it was perfect. My small contribution to the meal, was dessert- Georgia Peach Crisp in personal Mason Jars! To sum up our meal in one word…. “SUMMER!”
Chocolate Chip Scones
My birthday is sort of unique… when I was in school, my birthday was always overlooked- all summer birthdays are like that… if you have a summer birthday, you know the pain- the 21st birthday celebrations that “school year birthday” friends demanded we spend not just the birthday of celebrating, but the whole weekend. Heaven forbid your birthday fell on Saturday- good lord I had friends who expected Thursday, Friday and Saturday to be parties in their honor- I admit, I was that person- I only attended 1 night. Do I sound bitter …. still??
After the movie, Julie and Julia… I became quietly obsessed with Julia Child, and from my research, I found a new reason to celebrate my awkwardly placed birthday, because it is Julia Childs! This year, I will be turning 24 and Julia will be turning 100. Thanks to my roommate, I have now signed up for a Julia Child cake contest! Any ideas would be great! Stay tuned!
Peach Crisp In a Jar:
(Makes 3 servings)
- 1/3 cup oatmeal
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 3 tbsp room temperature butter- cut into small chunks
- 3 peaches- cored and thinly sliced
- 3 mason jars (or can be prepared in pyrex dish)
- honey (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut peaches into thin slices
- In a medium bowl, combine peach slices and 2 tbsp of brown sugar- mix together.
- In a small bowl- combine flour, oats, butter, cinnamon, and remaining brown sugar. I use my fingers- the oat mixture should be crumbly- this is what you sprinkle on top.
- Spoon the peaches into your baking dish or mason jars.
- Add the crumble to the top- drizzle with honey (my secret ingredient)
- Bake for 15-20 minutes- till peaches start to bubble and you see the juices.
- Serve warm with a dollop of vanilla ice-cream!