There is something about brunch. My favorite Saturdays include, sleeping in past 8:30, coffee, my ipad, my food blogs, and a brunch of some sort. I am not a fan of lunch- I think it is lame, well, maybe not lame, but I just wish I could eat super greasy and terrible food for lunch everyday and not be a million pounds… then I would have a different opinion on lunch. But, brunch- now that is a different story.
I have been and will be traveling for the next week and half back and forth from Savannah, GA…. so needless to say, I have been super exhausted and today was no different- I slept in till 9, made a large pot of coffee, flipped on the TV, made a fantastic open faced egg sandwich, and got cracken on catching up on work (not as exciting as my food blogs… but productive and well needed!)
Since I was traveling last week, and will be gone from Sunday to Labor Day Monday, my brunch this morning was created with things I had in the fridge (plus some arugula from my roommates stash- thanks Chelsea!).
Open faced is the way to go…I don’t like my sandwich to be to bready. I also like my eggs runny, so I do not need cheese because the yolk takes on a melted cheese/sauce form. I started with toast, then sautéed some kielbasa sausage slices, and toped the toast with a tomato slice, arugula, and a fried egg- delish!
- tomato slices
- sausage or bacon
- frying pan (this is a one pan meal)
- Toast the bread
- Sautee the sausage or bacon (according to directions/preference- crispy, overdone, etc?)
- In the same pan, after sausage/bacon is finished, add the egg- cook on both sides for about 3 minutes (push the top of the yolk with your spatula- not too hard… but if it has some bounce, then your egg will be on the runny side- cook longer for a fully cooked yolk)
- Take your toast, add the meat, tomato slice, arugula, and top with the egg!
- Cut a small slit in the top of the egg- so the yolk runs over the sandwich- and dig in!
Enjoy your weekend!!