Two weeks ago, I was in Cleveland for the weekend. Mrs A was showing me this cleanse she was starting- 21 days of basically eating just fruits and vegetables, with chicken being introduced into the diet on day 11. It has had me thinking… and brainstorming of recipes and my own diet, of not including carbs and dairy. I have being trying to only eat carbs at breakfast (except for special days), but I struggle with dairy- I like milk with my cereal, and cheese (WI killed me with the whole cheese thing- addicted). I commend her- it takes some serious creativity and will power!
I had a sweet potato and black beans… so with inspiration from some of my food blogs, I took my own approach. I did cave and use some bread crumbs, but not enough to make it an issue- but I did cut out the egg, and the burgers stayed together just fine.
As I was completely inspired by Mrs. A’s serious determination and strong will with this recipe, I took one bite of the finished product… and it was like GT was smiling down saying, “you, did it tootsie”. Hackneys black bean burger was her favorite burger, and my small taste test bite, was a replica of Hackney’s burger. It is exactly 5 o’clock here.. so here’s to you- a gin martini and a black bean burger!
Black Bean and Sweet Potato Burgers
- ¾ cup black beans
- 1 sweet potato
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- 2 gloves garlic- minced (or I zest mine- so they are very fine)
- 3 tbsp minced red onions
- ¼ cup corn
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- pepper- dash
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ranch powder
Roasted Red Pepper Topping:
- ¼ cup non fat greek yogurt (I will probably never use mayo again- this sauce was awesome and NO fat!)
- 2 roasted red peppers
- 1 tsp roasted red pepper juice
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- ½ tsp Cajun spices
- Cut the sweet potato with a knife down the center (as if you were going to serve it), place on a paper towel, and put it in the microwave. Microwave for 5 minutes, then flip and cook for 5 minutes more. Remove, slice in half and let cool until you can scoop out the flesh- throw away the skin.
- In a large bowl, combine black beans, spices, garlic, onion, bread crumbs, and corn. Add in sweet potato and olive oil. I used my hands to combine the mixture. (it gets messy)
- Form the burger mixture into patties. Mine made 3 full size burgers and 1 baby burger.
- Put the burgers aside (in the fridge works the best)- while you assemble the sauce.
- Using a Cuisnart (or other appliance with a blade), combine greek yogurt, spices, roasted red pepper, and juice (from the canned red pepper- helps break up the sauce). Put into a container and refrigerate.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Once the skillet is hot, place the patties. I cooked one side for about 5 minutes, until it starts to caramelize. I then flipped it and added a pot lid that fit the skillet to trap the steam so the inside of the burger cooked thoroughly.
- Take the burgers off and assemble. I went carb’less and ate the burger sans bun with a side of green beans!